Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jacques Dujardin (Dinkycollect)
Level 3
Username: Dinkycollect

Post Number: 1563

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is out of subject but there is no special thread for this and it is not worth creating one.

This is of course not a Dinky Toys but does anybody know what it is ?
What the real car is ? Which toy manufacturer ? etc ...

Peter Golden (Goldenp)
Level 6
Username: Goldenp

Post Number: 1032

Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This appears to be a Manoil #701 Futuristic Sedan. It is missing its chassis. For an image see http://www.lloydralstontoys.com/nopreview/022109photos/116.jpg

This series was produced pre-war.

There was a whole series of these Manoil futuristic vehicles I doubt they were based on real cars.

dave boreham (Dollarbob)
Level 2
Username: Dollarbob

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Full marks Peter.These appear to be rather interesting models.Do you have any other sources of information other than the Manoil websites?
Thanks Again,
Regards,

Dave.

Peter Golden (Goldenp)
Level 6

Post Number: 1033

Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Richard O'Briens book, Collecting American-Made Toy Soldiers. This has information on some of the non soldier models made by the various manufacturers including Manoil, Barclay, TootsieToy, Marx etc. It has a list of the various cars produced by Manoil and some illustrations. I obtained it some time ago from Amazon, ISBN 0-89689-118-6.

As a reference it isn't great nor his equivalent book on Foreign-Made Toy Soldiers which is incomplete but has helped me a bit with my collecting of figures etc.

Level 5

Post Number: 1564

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter,

Many thanks for this info.
I have never heard about Manoil. Was it a British firm ?

Jacques D.

dave boreham (Dollarbob)
Level 2

Post Number: 58

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many Thanks Peter, I have heard some references to O'Briens but had
no idea of it's content,etc.
Cheers,

Dave.

Level 6

Post Number: 1565

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter,

Many thanks for your information, it is so nice to have real experts on this site.

Peter Golden (Goldenp)
Level 6

Post Number: 1036

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manoil is or was a US firm. It traded from about 1927 until around 1959 according to O'Brien. Mainly known for dimestore figures.

Jan Werner (Janwerner)
Level 5
Username: Janwerner

Post Number: 959

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it is American, and I like the appeal of these models. They have a kind of futuristic Art Deco style (for those days). These models are not very popular, and, like Tootsie, Barclay, Arcade etc. they are often but much easier to buy than a Dinky Toy, even pre-war!

Kind regards, Jan Werner

Jan Werner (Janwerner)
Level 5
Username: Janwerner

Post Number: 987

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all, I just happened to come across this picture of a 1934/35 retail leaflet or catalogue of Manoil toy cars.

It shows the basic models then available. Striking is the fixed length of 4 1/2 inch of these miniatures, the true size in which they are presented (not possible to reproduce here), and the stating of the colour ratio to be found in a retail box of a dozen.
If conform reality, this must inevitably mean that an orange coloured Manoil miniature should be the hardest to find.
Nine years ago I was in Bleecker street N.Y., to find no Manoil factory or office there, but a very charming vintage model shop 'Second Childhood' at no. 283 Bleecker Street (Greenwich Village).
If it still exists I can recommend a visit.

Perhaps an independent listing of this brand in the main TMT list would better accommodate messages on this very little known series of fantastic toy models.

Kind regards, Jan Werner

dave boreham (Dollarbob)
Level 2

Post Number: 65

Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan,

must have missed this post when I was clearing the backlog from my trip to Derby.

The leaflet really captures the essence of these earlier models.Rather
like Tootsie, the later and larger items seem to lose something.This makes an interesting comparison with Dinky whose Supertoy range was very well done.

I am trying to increase my knowledge of Manoil vehicles but aside from snippets of information here and there find it very difficult to
achieve.The color ratio from the leaflet was interesting and would account for my overwhelming predominance of red items.Now if I could only determine how many models/variations were produced we would be
somewhat further along.

Cheers,

Dave.

Geoffrey r GR Webster (Grw)
Level 2
Username: Grw

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manoil also produced some die cast aircraft. 3 propeller planes and one jet.

Geoffrey R 'GR' Webster
miniatureaircraftcollectors.com
http://www.blurb.com/books/2316433

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered Dinky Club Members may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out