Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 6
Username: Cmc

Post Number: 85

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or should the name of this thread be KemlowS ? - the name on the box suggests that it should.

k

These little armoured cars are very basic with no base and metal wheels. They do not appear to be based on any actual armoured car that I am aware of. The boxed example above is not mine but the one below is - I do not have a gun for it.

k

k

k

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 6

Post Number: 87

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kemlows produced 2 Artillery Sets. This boxed example has the copy of the Dinky 621 3 Ton Army Wagon, which is a Bedford.
The main differences are that the Kemlows model has no spare wheel under the chassis, the tow hook is cast onto the chassis, and the only markings are the words "Made in England" underneath.

k

k

k

k

The other Artillery Set had the same ammunition trailer and gun but a different Tractor. This is similar to, but not a copy of, the Dinky 688 Field Artillery Tractor.

k

k

All 3 pieces have been found with different markings, some hand- painted, some transfers, and some have no markings.

k

k

The ammunition limber has an opening lid, and one still has the original, unopened packet of shells.

k

k

Although the Dinky 621 (Bedford) Army Wagon was never sold withe the accompanying Dinky 687 Ammunition Limber or 686 25-pounder Field Gun, they make a good set to compare with the Kemlows sets.

k

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 6

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another interesting Kemlows item is the Armoured Car.

k

k

This is a copy of the Dinky 676 Daimler Armoured Car. It has some minor differences in the casting, such as the front panels and the driver's visor.

k

k

k

k

There is no base-plate.

k

Jacques Dujardin (Dinkycollect)
Level 6
Username: Dinkycollect

Post Number: 1577

Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kemlows / Automec tools for the Bedford 3 tonner have ended up in Israel. Jacques H what can you find about this model ? Any other finish ? Do you have any Gamda ?

Picture by courtesy of Gary Cohen

The limber and 25 pdr. are Kemlows so is the centurion which is 1/86. A Mighty Antar tank transporter at the same scale was also produced by Gamda with Automec tools.

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 2

Post Number: 117

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have now managed to acquire a similar set to the one shown in the first posting above, complete with its box. Two things of interest the first being that the words Kemlow and Kemlows are both used to describe the product.

k

Kemlow

Secondly on the outside of my box there is a small strip of coloured paper the same colour as the paint on the armoured car and gun. Does this indicate that there were some painted in different colours? I have seen photos of the same set in bare metal but had assumed these had been stripped of their paint.
I have just ordered a recently published book on Kemlow toys so hope to be able to find more information on these toys soon.

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 2

Post Number: 119

Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As mentioned above I had ordered a new book about Kemlows products and it has now arrived. Self published by Paul Brookes earlier this year, it is an excellent hard-back reference book on all known Kemlow items.There are numerous colour illustrations and a large amount of detailed information on the products. There is also a large section on the MasterModel range, which were figures and accessories for "OO" gauge model railways. They were made by Kemlows but marketed by B J Ward under the MasterModel name.

Kemlow

Kemlow

Kemlow

Kemlow

Kemlow

Anyone interested in this early pre-war firm and its products would find this an extremely useful and interesting book.

Andy Ebbage (Andye)
Level 1
Username: Andye

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this model at a recent sale. Is this Kemlow?

Nigel Austin Pearson (Nigelpearson)
Level 2
Username: Nigelpearson

Post Number: 77

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Andy,

It may well be i wonder if it is listed in " THE ILLUSTRATED KEMLOWS STORY " that Chris has a copy of? Maybe I should also order one it maybe we could also get more information by contacting KEMLOWS not in London which is where they used to operate from but from here

Andy Ebbage (Andye)
Level 1

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. I looked on amazon for the book but seems its not available. I drew the connection between the fact its almost a dinky bedford copy.

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 2

Post Number: 139

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have looked through the Kemlows book and there is no Bedford truck shown or listed.

Andy Ebbage (Andye)
Level 1

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Thanks for checking.

anyone else with any thoughts on who could have made it?

Chris Clemons (Cmc)
Level 2

Post Number: 148

Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recent acquisition of this Kemlows Artillery Set, or as this one is designated "Mobile Artillery Unit". While the 3 pieces are the same as those shown in an earlier posting the box is quite different.

K

The box is similar to the pre-war Dinky military sets in that there is a folding flap in the front with a description of the different pieces printed on it. On the rear panel of the box and on the inside of the lid is a printed scene.

K

While the Bedford truck and the 25pdr field gun are identical to the version shown in an earlier posting, there are some differences with the ammunition limber.
1. The limber shown earlier has a separate hook attached to the base with a rivet while this version has a cast hook.

K

2. This version has narrower mudguards.

K

3. The rear panel has only 2 raised square panels while the other version has more detailed rivets, hinges etc.

K

Jacques Dujardin (Dinkycollect)
Level 6
Username: Dinkycollect

Post Number: 1059

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Chris,

Very interesting find in a very good state.

The Bedford seems to have been made by Kemlows first and this firm sold it's tools to Automec of Lincoln U.K.

The tools may have been sold later to Gamda in Israel.

The bedford was issued as :
Army covered wagon.
Civilian dark blue covered wagon.
Flat truck.
Tipper.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered Dinky Club Members may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out