Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

986 1959-1961 Mighty Antar with Prope...

Talk Model Toys » DINKY TOYS » British Dinky Toys » Commercial Vehicles » 986 1959-1961 Mighty Antar with Propeller « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jan bolt (Jbolt53)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David John Busfield (Buzzer)
Level 6
Username: Buzzer

Post Number: 418

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dinky Supertoys 986 Thorneycroft Mighty Antar Low Loader with Propeller Load was introduced to the Dinky range of models in June 1959. I am sure that this splendid vehicle will have found itself on the wish list of many young boys in that year.

This was the second version of the Dinky Antar, the third one being the 908 Mighty Antar with Transformer which was not introduced until October 1962.

A model of this type would be very appropriate for Meccano as they were based in Liverpool, this was a very big ship building city and large loads such as propellers would often be seen passing through the city.

The propeller load is plastic and bronze in colour, it is mounted on a large type of pallet, it is a realistic representation of a large propeller.

The tractor unit is the same as the original 660 Thorneycroft Mighty Antar Tank Transporter but painted red with grey wheels and the driver had blue overalls.

The grey semi-trailer for this model was a completely new design. Both types are shown here for comparison.

The tractor unit was made up of two castings the lower of which contained the model details but no catalogue number.

The semi-trailer is a single casting which incorporates the model details and the catalogue number.

It was sold in the traditional blue/white Supertoy box. Mine is stamped MO 659, I believe this would be June 1959 so it will be one of the earliest boxes.

It was launched in the Meccano Magazine of June 1959 along side the Dublo Dinky Toys 072 Bedford Articulated Flat Truck

It was covered in some detail by the Toyman over two pages in the centre of the June 1959 Meccano Magazine.

It first appeared on the back page of the Dinky Toy catalogue of May 1959 marked as “Available later” and was alongside the equally impressive 983 Car Carrier with Trailer.

It then appeared on the back cover of the Dinky Toys price list of July 1959 priced fourteen shillings and eleven pence.

Further details of the Mighty Antar and other large military vehicles can be found in the superb book “Tugs of War” by Pat War, published by Warehouse Publications ISBN0-9525563-1-6

Keith Wreyford (Keith_w)
Level 6
Username: Keith_w

Post Number: 393

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great article as usual John just one small correction. Although in the era of sailing ships there was a ship building industry in Liverpool, with the transition to iron and then steel shipping in the second half of the nineteenth century, this heavy ship building move else where in the UK mainly North East England and the Clyde becoming the main centres of British shipbuilding. However slightly different story on the other side of the Mersey. William Laird’s ironworks and shipyard in Birkenhead (founded in 1824) became the town’s biggest industry and one of the world’s best-known firms, pioneering ironclad warships and going on to build some of the best-known vessels of the twentieth century, including both the 1938 and 1955 incarnations of the aircraft carrier Ark Royal.

I know it is only through the Mersey tunnel but these propellers were more likely to be seen in Birkenhead rather than Liverpool

Jan Werner (Janwerner)
Level 6
Username: Janwerner

Post Number: 897

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this is how these huge propellers for ocean going ships are made, as shown on the cover of MM of August 1933:

And this is what the Dinky propeller is made of, shown on page one of the Dinky Toys factory list of used moulding powders for polystyrene parts.

The list is of the same year of introduction of this low loader version of the Mighty Antar:

Indeed, shipbuilding and repair was done on the left bank of the Mersey. But I can imagine - like I saw in my own youth, living near Rotterdam - the whole area was influenced by these shipbuilding activities and transports, propellers like these passing my own house every now and then. And the Mersey Tunnel is wide enough to accommodate such a special transport!

I would love to have the 4-5m long Dinky ship model belonging to this propeller. Meccano simply forgot to attach a ship to this propeller!

Thanks for your contribution David, and congratulations with this spectacular addition!

Kind regards, Jan Werner

Jacques Dujardin (Dinkycollect)
Username: Dinkycollect

Post Number: 1160

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About shipbuilding, I visited the huge Singer factory in Clydebank several times and across the street was the Brown shipyard.

What is not known is that The Singer Manufacturing Co. (the sewing machines Co.) did a lot of subcontracting jobs for Brown : stairs banisters, panelings and other wood work for which Brown was not tooled.

During the war Singer was also the manufacturer of the Sten guns, parts for rifles and Rolls-Royce engines (Paisley factory) and miles of tank tracks as each track pad was about the same size as a sewing machine casting.

Both Brown and Singer have vanished and I understand that a huge shopping center has been build on their sites.

David John Busfield (Buzzer)
Level 6
Username: Buzzer

Post Number: 420

Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it would have been better if I had said Merseyside and not Liverpool.

I still remember that area for shipbuilding and I am sure that low loaders with propellers were not an uncommon site in that area, after all the workforce at Meccano would have been scattered all around.

Jacques Dujardin (Dinkycollect)
Username: Dinkycollect

Post Number: 1161

Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Meccano Magazine of August 1950 shows the Crane Ltd. low loading trailer loaded with crates as well as an interesting article describing the Mighty Antar.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered Dinky Club Members may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page