Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

29e 1948-1952 Single Deck Bus

Talk Model Toys » DINKY TOYS » British Dinky Toys » Public Transport Vehicles » 29e 1948-1952 Single Deck Bus « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David John Busfield (Buzzer)
Level 6
Username: Buzzer

Post Number: 330

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strangely this thread still contains nothing for this lovely little half-cab bus which did not stay in the Dinky catalogue for too long.

The Single Deck Bus was only in the Dinky range from 1948 to 1952 so it always had its 29e number and was discontinued before the renumbering scheme.

It was available in mid blue/ dark blue, cream/red, cream/blue and light green/dark green. Mine is a light green/dark green version and certainly not mint but I acquired it with a job lot of other buses and it cost me virtually nothing.

They were only ever available in trade boxes which contained 6 buses. If anyone has other colour variations please add them.

It first appeared in the March 1948 edition of the Meccano Magazine without any announcement at all, this was not unusual in those days. I believe the illustration for the bus was a drawing and not a photograph.

The first catalogue listing was on the rear page of the October 1949 Meccano Catalogue and price list, it also featured the same drawing.

The first Dinky catalogue I can find it in is the 1952 catalogue where it appeared in colour on page 13.

I think this bus was based on the Maudslay Marathon Mark II Luxury Chassis Coach. The advert in the Motor Transport Magazine of 19th October 1946 would certainly support this as the vehicle illustration looks very very similar.

The Maudslay Motor Company Ltd of Alcester, Warwickshire was certainly very popular at this time and it would certainly have made sense to base it on one of these.

Ken Gray (Kennygray)
Level 6
Username: Kennygray

Post Number: 182

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

29e-Bus.jpg

Like Dave's mine is green, and even more playworn. But it has black wheels (hubs), which I believe dates it to 1948.

I did have a blue one at one stage but the blue looked a bit too 'cold' to me.

Since I don't like repaints, I am continually searching for a black wheeled green bus in better condition.

Bob Barnes (Raab)
Level 6
Username: Raab

Post Number: 358

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two cream and blue models with the same black hubs that are shown on Ken's model.

Jan Werner (Janwerner)
Level 6
Username: Janwerner

Post Number: 840

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear all, the late treatment of this remarkable Dinky bus seems to reflect the lack of attention that Meccano themselves paid to this model and the very short (4-5 yrs) production period it had, compared with similar Dinky buses of this period.

I like this bus (or coach?) very much, because of its typical British half cab appearance.

In my opinion the model’s roof above the recessed front window should be a tiny bit overhanging, but I presume this would have caused some casting complexities.

The cream one was missing, so here it is again, from the other side, with black hubs. Unfortunately any chips are very obvious on such a cream model. Still, the smooth silk finish/patina of this one makes it a beauty. This bus model is the only post-war one which started with the 1940s satin black painted hubs. It is also the only one which is only known with crimped axle ends (it was deleted just before the general adoption of rounded axle ends in 1952).

It is remarkable to see that all black colour hubs examples have not only the nice side curves painted in a contrasting colour, but also the ‘bottom line’. On the contrary virtually all coloured hubs versions lack this line, it is just included in the main bodycolour. This goes for all three colour versions (green examples above only).

Because of being deleted in 1952 already it never came in an individual box.

The base plate did not mention a catalogue number or modelname at all.

In the GBofDT it is said that the bases of the others, Luxury Coach and Observation Coach, do not either. Perhaps this is for the very early examples of those, all mine do show the name anyway (indeed, no numbers).

Now that I took them out of the display for the bases, I can make a little cream bus show at the same time!

Some comparison too of the Single Deck Bus and the Luxury coach as the rear base supports concerns. This produces a very ugly view for the first one, but Meccano solved the problem for the latter.

In the mean time this (reduced) picture of Reflection in Hastings is well known, just the detail here, showing some silver details being mask sprayed onto the cream one.

If you need a fine article about the half cab bus and the other 1950’s single deckers, I refer to Roger Bailey’s ‘Dinky single deckers of the 1950s’, in Diecast Collector issue 74 of December 2003.

In my opinion much more text and photos could be added to the things worth to know about this exciting, characteristic model and its real-world prototype!

Kind regards, Jan Werner

Jacques Dujardin (Dinkycollect)
Username: Dinkycollect

Post Number: 1071

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Half cab bus

Contrary to the Luxury coach and Observation coach, the half cab bus is not a Maudslay although Maudslay made some. The grille as shown on Jan's picture is different.

Perhaps our experts in english busses can tell us more about the make of the prototype.

The picture has been taken at the Coventry Transport Museum on June 26, 2007.http://www.transport-museum.com/ where unfortunately, the room is very small and it is difficult to take pictures.

Jan Werner (Janwerner)
Level 6

Post Number: 841

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jacques. Apparently the Meccano men had some fun in modelling prototypes which are very hard to identify (then, and especially at present). Jacques, you invited some British bus expert to comment on the possible prototype. Well, I think it’s appropriate to quote Roger Bailey then, in his comment concerning the real vehicle:

“From the end of the Second World War until about 1950, half-cab single deck buses and coaches ruled the roads, as far as new orders were concerned. However, by 1951, everything had changed, the introduction of the underfloor-engined single-deckers meant that the front-engined half-cab was considered obsolete by most operators and very few were being delivered. The last few, which tended to be from stock, entered service by about 1952/53.
The early post-war years were a time when many small bodybuilders emerged and took advantage of the urgent need for new or re-bodied vehicles. Many bodies were built on AEC and Leyland chassis, first choice for many operators, but others were fitted to chassis produced by companies previously less well-known for buses or coaches, such as Guy.
Many collectors believe this is what the Dinky model is based on, although basically generic – Dinky Toys did not refer to any particular prototype.

The radiator grille certainly bears a closer resemblance to the Guy Arab Mk III than any other make, and the front mudguards have the outward flare at their bottom edges, characteristic of Guys at the time.

The name of the toy is somewhat misleading, as it is clearly based on a coach, rather than a bus. The body is often seen as a Duple style, but this is difficult to prove. The curved waistline of the toy is clearly in line with the contemporary coach style of the time, used by many different manufacturers based around the country. Examples in this style were built by Sauders, Yeates, Beadle, Park Royal, Windover, Heaver, Roe and, of course, Duple, not to mention many other less well-known companies, many of whom produced just a few bodies for local operators and then went back to making furniture or whatever in the 1950s when the boom was over. One interesting manufacturer, which produced a body very similar in style to the Dinky model, was Santus of Wigan, a company which did well in the bodybuilding business for a few years after the Second World War.”

Kind regards, Jan Werner

David John Busfield (Buzzer)
Level 6
Username: Buzzer

Post Number: 1068

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am now sure that this bus was not based on a Maudslay chassis.

As can be seen the radiators on the Single Deck Bus and the Observation Coach are totally different.

I have just had a long chat with Nelson Twells who is extremely knowledgeable about buses and coaches and he thinks it is a generic design with chassis elements from Leyland or Guy and probably based on a Burlingham body.

Dave

Jan Werner (Janwerner)
Level 6

Post Number: 1511

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the Maudslay, in my opinion:

Kind regards, Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered Dinky Club Members may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page